Round of Applause

“Services My Way” gives more control to beneficiaries over their home and community-based services provided by Medicaid. Its enactment and implementation has been in the making for nearly a decade. After several hurdles and setbacks — and the strong advocacy from the DC Long Term Care Coalition — the program launched on March 28, 2016. Below is more information on “Services My Way.”


  1. What is “Services My Way”?

“Services My Way” is an alternative option to traditional services offered. This program is apart of the Participant Directed Services. It allows the participant to be in control of their care. The “Services My Way” Program invites you to be an active participant in deciding how you receive your services while living in your home and community.



  1. What is Participant Directed Services?

Participant Directed Services is an alternative option to traditional services such as nursing facilities or hospitalization. It allows the care recipient to self-direct his or her own care. They have the autonomy to become their own agency where they can self-employ their staff. This program is designed to give the participant control, flexibility, and independence in finding, evaluating, and hiring his or her caregiver. It puts the participant in charge of scheduling, job assignments, and scope of services they want or need.


The Participant Directed Services is a part of the Elderly and Persons with Physical disabilities (EPD) waiver program. The EPD waiver is a Medicaid waiver choice program for the elderly and individuals with physical disabilities, who are able to safely receive supportive services in home and community-based settings. To learn more about the EPD waiver program click here.



  1. What types of services does “Services My Way” Provide?

“Services My Way” includes two specific EPD waiver services.


  • Participant Directed Community Support is available only to EPD waiver participants enrolled in the “Services My Way” program. When using this service, the participant or his/her authorized representative is the common law employer of their Participant Directed Worker (PDW).


  • Individual Directed Goods and Services are services, equipment, or supplies not otherwise provided through the EPD Waiver or State Plan. These goods and services must address an identified need in the participant’s Person-Centered Plan (PCP). For a list of allowable and non-allowable goods and services, click here.



  1. How does one choose an EPD waiver case manager/support broker?

When one is eligible for the EPD waiver program, a case manager/support broker is assigned to the individual. Contact the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) to learn more about eligibility requirements:


500 K Street, NE, Washington, DC 20002

Phone: (202) 724-5622

Fax: (202) 724-4979

TTY: (202) 724-8925

Alternate Number: (202) 724-5626





  1. What is the wait period for “Services My Way?”

The “Services My Way” program takes about 2+ weeks before a participant can use any services. The application process timeline is based on a number of factors, including the criminal background checks of the employees. Another impediment, which can slow the application process, is how responsive the participant is in choosing their availability and staff. The participant must also meet the updated plan outlined on the Consumer Directed website and put in their “Services My Way” plan so it is clear what services they will be receiving. Once all of these factors have been cleared, the participant can utilize this program.



  1. What other programs are offered through Participant Directed Services?

Below is a list of other programs available to individuals who are eligible through the EPD waiver program:


Personal Care Assistance

A Personal Care Aide (PCA) provides assistance with bathing, grooming, dressing, toileting, and eating.

Respite services may include companionship, supervision, or assistance with daily activities for waiver participants in their homes, or a short-term place of residence in the temporary absence of the primary caregiver.
Homemaker Services

Homemaker Services include general household activities such as grocery shopping, routine housecleaning, and meal preparation.
Chore Services

Chore aides provide one-time, non-medical household tasks, such as washing floors, windows, or walls, removing trash, and rearranging furniture in order to provide safe access.
Personal Emergency Response Services (PERS)

PERS is an emergency system that calls for assistance from a friend, relative, or an emergency service provider (police, fire, or ambulance).
Assisted Living Services

Assisted Living Services provides hands-on care, whether supportive or health-related, in an assisted living residence to older adults and persons with disabilities.


Environmental Accessibility

This service provides physical adaptations to the home that are necessary to ensure the health, safety, and welfare of the individual and/or increase their independence in the home.

More information on any of these programs can be found on the EPD WAIVER FACT SHEET.




  1. Where can I learn more about “Services My Way?”

If you are interested in learning more about “Services My Way,” and other EPD waiver services, visit the Department of Health Care Finance’s website here (EPD Waiver Program). Another good resource specifically on “Services My Way” is on the Consumer Direct DC’s website. The Consumer Direct DC can also be reached by phone at 1-844-381-4432. If you have a case manager, you can also speak to them about EPD Waiver services.